POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts : Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Apr 2009 15:28:09
Message: <49f212c9$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:39:27 -0600, somebody wrote:

>> The MIT Guide to Lockpicking teaches you how to open most locks very
>> simply.  That is protected free speech.  The use of that material,
>> though, can lead people to illegal activities.
>>
>> So should the guide be blocked from public access?
>
> Is it a legal and freely distributable publication? If so, no.

It is freely distributable copyrighted material.

Today it's legal.  There are some people (like those who passed the DMCA)
who happen to think that the mechanisms that protect things should not be
protected free speech.

Similarly, in some countries, it is legal to discuss, crack, and disclose
the copy protection mechanisms in software.  The US isn't one of those
places, but there are plenty of places where it is allowed.

You need to stop looking at these issue through US-centric eyes.  Either
that or just flatly state that your opinion is not mutable, and we can
all stop arguing with you and move on to something else.

Jim